Russia Travel Blog | All about Russia in English

CAT | Cities

Mar/19

21

St. Andronicus Monastery in Moscow

St. Andronicus Monastery is a complex of buildings of the former monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church located on the left bank of the Yauza River, near one of the Poklonny Mountains of Moscow.

The monastery, founded in 1357, was named after its first hegumen, Andronicus, a disciple of Sergius of Radonezh. St. Andronicus Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Vladimir Dar.

St. Andronicus Monastery in Moscow, Russia, photo 1

beautiful churches and a unique museum

Tags:  · ·

Mar/19

16

Barnaul – the view from above

Barnaul is a city with a population of about 632 thousand people located in the south of Western Siberia at the confluence of the Barnaulka and the Ob rivers, the administrative center of the Altai Krai.

It was founded as a settlement at the Akinfiy Demidov silver smelting plant in 1730. The blast furnace on the city’s coat of arms reminds of those times. Today, it is a large industrial, cultural, medical, and educational center of Siberia. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Barnaul, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Barnaul

Tags:  ·

Mar/19

10

Evening in snow-covered Yaroslavl

Yaroslavl is a city with a population of about 609 thousand people, the administrative center of the Yaroslavl region. Founded in the 11th century, Yaroslavl is one of the oldest Russian cities, which reached its peak in the 17th century. In 2010, tise city celebrated its millennium.

The historic center of Yaroslavl, located at the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl rivers, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Yaroslavl claims the status of the “capital” of the Golden Ring of Russia. Photos by: Roman Smirnov.

Evening in snow-covered Yaroslavl, Russia, photo 1

fly over Yaroslavl

Tags: 

Mar/19

5

Salekhard – the view from above

Salekhard is a city with a population of about 49 thousand people, the administrative center of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District. It is the only city in the world located directly on the Arctic Circle.

It was founded as a Cossack fort of Obdorsk in 1595. At the beginning of the 19th century, the fortifications were demolished, and Obdorsk turned into a village. In 1933, it received a new name – Salekhard, which in translation from the Nenets language means “settlement on a cape”. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Salekhard, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Salekhard

Tags:  ·

Feb/19

26

Petrozavodsk – the view from above

Petrozavodsk is a city with a population of about 280 thousand people located in the north-west of European Russia, about 430 km northeast of St. Petersburg, the capital of the Republic of Karelia.

In 1703, by decree of Peter the Great, an arms factory was laid on the shore of Lake Onega. Around this factory a settlement began to form, which eventually became a city. The name “Petrozavodsk” literally means “Peter’s factory.” Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Petrozavodsk, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Petrozavodsk

Tags:  ·

Feb/19

11

Kemerovo – the view from above

Kemerovo is a city with a population of about 560 thousand people, the administrative center of the Kemerovo region located in the south-east of Western Siberia, in the northern part of the Kuznetsk coal basin (Kuzbass).

It is an important administrative, economic, scientific, cultural, transport, and industrial center of Siberia, the largest city of the Kemerovo region. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Kemerovo, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Kemerovo

Tags: 

Feb/19

5

Chita – the view from above

Chita, founded in 1653, is a city with a population of about 349 thousand people located in the central part of Transbaikalia in Eastern Siberia, the administrative center of the Zabaykalsky region.

This city is an important transportation hub on the Trans-Siberian Railway. The historic center has retained a rectangular grid of streets according to the plan of 1862. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Chita - the view from above, Russia, photo 1

fly over Chita

Tags:  ·

Jan/19

24

Ufa – the view from above

Ufa, a city with a population of about 1.1 million people, is the capital of the Republic of Bashkortostan – the first national autonomous republic on the territory of today’s Russia located on the western slopes of the Southern Urals.

This city is one of the largest economic, cultural and scientific centers of the country. The length of Ufa from north to south is 53.5 km, from west to east – 29.8 km in the widest part. It is the fifth longest city in Russia after Volgograd, Sochi, Novyy Urengoy, and Perm. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Ufa - the view from above, Russia, photo 1

fly over Ufa

Tags:  ·

Church of the Life-Giving Trinity is a picturesque Orthodox church located in the west of Moscow on the territory of the former estate of Troitse-Lykovo on the right high bank of the Moscow River.

The church was built in 1694-1697 (according to other sources – 1698-1703) and became one of the first church buildings constructed in the style of the so-called Moscow Baroque, a synthesis of western Baroque and old Russian national style. Church of the Life-Giving Trinity on Google Maps. Photos by: Vladimir Dar.

Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Troitse-Lykovo, Moscow, Russia, photo 1

magnificent stone church

Tags:  ·

Jan/19

6

Ulan-Ude – the view from above

Ulan-Ude is a city with a population of 435 thousand people located about 100 km east of Lake Baikal, the capital of the Republic of Buryatia, a major cultural, scientific, industrial center of Eastern Siberia. Also it is one of the centers of Buddhism in Russia, along with Elista.

Ulan-Ude has a unique historical and cultural heritage. There are more than 200 cultural heritage sites in the city: monuments of architecture and city planning, as well as monuments of art. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Ulan-Ude, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Ulan-Ude

Tags:  ·