TAG | Abandoned
This greenhouse complex, consisting of dozens of greenhouses and located somewhere in the Moscow region, was opened in the 1960s. It was used to grow a variety of plants (annual flowers, perennial trees, shrubs) for landscaping of Moscow and several cities in the region.
Several years ago, the complex stopped working and eventually became an abandoned object with a crazy atmosphere of a post-apocalyptic world. Photos by: Lana Sator.
Gamsutl is a picturesque Avar village located on top of Mount Gamsutlmeer, in Gunibsky district of Dagestan. This village is one of the oldest settlements on the territory of the republic.
Translated from the Avar, the word “gamsutl” means “at the foot of the khan’s fortress”, from what historians have concluded that once, in ancient times, Khan chose this place to build his fortress or tower. Gamsutl on Google Maps. Photos by: Olga Stanina.
Zaklyuchye Manor is located in the Tver region. You can reach it, if you drive on the M-10 highway from Moscow to St. Petersburg, and before reaching the city of Valdai and Lake Valdai take a turn to Borovichi. About 50 km from it, there is Lykoshino station. Nearby, hidden in the woods, on the bank of a forest lake, you will find this “castle.”
The estate appeared in the late 19th century. It was built for the St. Petersburg architect and artist Alexander Sergeyevich Khrenov. Many artists, architects and writers of that time tried to disappear in nature. Photos by: Dmitriy Gazin.
Shikotan, meaning “the best place”, is the largest island of the Lesser Kuril Islands, part of the Sakhalin region. Japan disputes Russia’s ownership of Shikotan; it sees it as part of Nemuro province, Hokkaido prefecture.
Until 1855, the island was part of the Russian Empire. February 7, 1855, according to the Russian-Japanese treaty of trade and boundaries (“Shimoda Treaty”), the island was given to Japan with the rest of the southern Kurils. In 1945, after Japan’s defeat in World War II, the islands were captured by the Soviet Union.
In the late 1970s, after the closure of the Soviet lunar program and work on the super-heavy carrier rocket N1, the development of a new super-heavy rocket called “Energy” began.
The first launch was made in 1987, and, in 1988, the rocket put into orbit the Soviet space shuttle “Buran.” Photos by: Ralph Mirebs.
June 2, 2015, Baikonur Cosmodrome, the cradle of space exploration and the largest Russian spaceport, celebrated its 60th anniversary. Over the years, a lot of different space vehicles were tested on its territory, the apex of which was the system of “Energy-Buran”. But history has chosen its path and the project died in infancy.
More than two decades ago, heavy sliding doors of an assembling and filling complex were closed cutting off two orbiting spacecraft from the sky. How ironic that the birthplace of these spaceships became their burial place.
In Soviet times, a very significant part of the budget was spent on various military purposes, including the construction of numerous defensive structures all over the country.
Gorky nuclear heating plant is an unfinished station for the production of thermal energy for heating Nagorny district of Nizhny Novgorod (former Gorky). Construction of the station was carried out in the 1980s, a few kilometers east of the city limits.
By the end of the 1980s, the station was finished by 85%, but due to public outcry and a growing budget deficit, the completion of construction of the station in the post-Chernobyl period was impossible, and the station was abandoned. Photos by Lana Sator
Dalniye Zelentsy village is standing on the shore of a small bay (Oscar Bay) of the Barents Sea in Kolsky district of Murmansk region.
In 1935, Murmansk Biological Station was opened in this place. In 1958, it was reorganized in Murmansk Marine Biological Institute. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, almost all people left this place.
On the vast expanses of Russia you can find a lot of abandoned facilities. Most of them were built in remote and sometimes very picturesque areas for military purposes during the Soviet period and after the collapse of the USSR were abandoned.
For example, look at this abandoned storage of nuclear warheads built in the 1960s in the depths of the granite mountain and located somewhere in the northern part of Russia. Photos by Lana Sator