Syzran (also spelled Sizran) is a city in Samara region of Russia located at the foot of the Volga Uplands, on the right bank of the river Volga (Saratov water reservoir), at the mouth of the river Syzranka, 137 km west of Samara.
The city stretches along the Volga River, from the north to the south - 17 km, from the west to the east - 10 km.
Syzran city population is about 175,000 (2012), land area - 117 sq. km.
The town got its name from the river Syzran (presently - Syzranka), the fortress was founded on it.
Syzran was founded in 1683. Russia was expanding in the East, and to secure the trade route, it was necessary to build fortresses. However, the military function quickly receded into the background, and the trade became the main function of the town.
In the 18th century, the city became a major trade center in the region. In 1780, the Russian empress Catherine II gave the town coat of arms - black bull in a golden field - for success in the livestock and bread trade. In the last third of the 19th century, Syzran received a railway.
More Historical Facts…
In 1906, a fire destroyed almost all wooden buildings in Syzran. A lot of stone buildings were constructed after the fire. Today, these buildings are architectural monuments, many of them have been restored in recent years.
During the years of Soviet power, the structure of industrial production of Syzran changed because of the discovery of large deposits of oil and oil shale.
During the Second World War, the industrial potential of the city increased by 4-5 times at the expense of the evacuated plants.
The main sectors of the economy at present: heavy industry, light and food industry, construction, transportation, small business, trade.
Syzran refinery plays an important role in the city’s economy. Annually, the refinery processes about 6.5 million tons (47.5 million barrels) of oil.
Syzran administration building
Syzran preserved the appearance of the merchant city of the 19th century standing on the Volga River. In the city, there are 143 monuments of history, culture and architecture.
Drama Theater. Syzran Drama Theater named after A. Tolstoy was opened by a local merchant in 1870. Address: Syzran, Sovetskaya Str., 92.
Museum of icon painting school. The city has an icon-painting school, its brightest representative was A.A. Bochkarev (1866-1934). The school has a workshop of artists, where you can even order to make the icon. Address: Syzran, Sovetskaya Str., 9.
Syzran local history museum. The museum is a modern cultural center of Samara region, an active participant in international, national, regional and city events. The museum is actively working to promote the knowledge of Syzran past and present.
The museum has collections of coins, photographs of the revolutionary period, iconography, rare books, and archaeological collection. Address: Syzran, Dostoyevsky Str., 34/10, opening hours: 10:00-18:00.
Syzran Exhibition Hall. The hall is located in an old mansion of a public figure and merchant M.V. Chernukhin. The building is a monument of wooden architecture of regional importance. In the showroom you can buy souvenirs and paintings made by local artists. Address: Syzran, Sverdlov Str., 2.
Syzran Kremlin. It is standing on the Kremlin hill, at the confluence of the Volga, Syzranka, and Krymza rivers, at the very beginning of Sovetskaya Street. It is the only kremlin in the Samara region.
Unfortunately only Spasskaya Tower (1683) is preserved till nowadays. On the territory of the Kremlin you can also find the church of the Nativity of Christ (1717). The tower houses a museum of the Kremlin.
Kazan Cathedral. The cathedral was built in 1872. This monumental building with a bell tower can be seen from the Kremlin hill. Address: Syzran, Dostoyevsky Str., 17.
Holy Ascension Monastery. The monastery was founded in 1685, two years after the foundation of Syzran fortress. In 1928, Soviet authorities closed the monastery. The monastic life was revived in 1996. The only preserved building is the Church of the Assumption (1738). Some of the monastic buildings are being restored now. Address: Syzran, Monastyrskaya Str., 2.
Sovetskaya Street. It is the main street of the historic center of Syzran. It is an urban ensemble performed in a variety of architectural styles. Currently, Sovetskaya Street serves as the center of business, cultural, social and administrative life of the city.
Sterlyadkin mansion. The mansion was built for rich miller Sterlyadkin in Art Nouveau style. Nowadays, the building houses the registry office. The mansion attracts attention with its amazing beauty and harmony. Address: Syzran, Sovetskaya Str., 66.
Syzran hydro power plant. The power plant is standing on the river Syzranka. It was the first hydro power plant in the Volga region opened in 1929.
Syzran Arboretum. It is located in the southern outskirts of the city, on the Saratov highway. The area of the arboretum is about 8 hectares; about 110 different species of plants are growing there.
Manor of Princes Gagarin. Manor with a unique park and preserved church. Here you can see the local history museum exhibits. Guests of the estate can visit not only the museum, but also the noble costume ball. Address: Syzran district, Zaborovka village.
Racheysky forest. To the west of Syzran, almost on the border with the Ulyanovsk region, there is a unique forest. It is spread over an area of 10 thousand hectares in the valleys and slopes of the Volga Upland, attracting people with its freshness and beauty of the landscape, purity of springs, and diversity of plants. Address: Syzran, Staraya Racheyka village.
Graveyard of ichthyosaurs. This unique natural monument is located deep underground in the vicinity of the village Novokashpirsky. The fossil collection is stored in the Samara Regional History Museum of P.V. Alabin.
“Syzran tomato”. It is a regional festival, held every August since 2001 in honor of the long-standing traditions. Tomatos were brought here by merchants from Astrakhan many centuries ago. Climate and fertile black earth soil were the main reasons for the big harvest.
“Silver Trumpets of the Volga region”. International festival of wind instruments, the main musical event of the city held in August. Ensembles, orchestras and soloists from France, Italy, Russia and other countries participate in the festival, concerts are held in the streets of the city.