CAT | Architecture
The Pashkov House is one of the most famous classic buildings in Moscow. Today, it is owned by the Russian State Library. The building is located on a hill overlooking the western wall of the Moscow Kremlin, at Vozdvizhenka Street, 3/5, building 1.
This architectural monument, built by order of the captain of Semyonovsky life-guards regiment Peter Pashkov in 1784-1786, was designed presumably by the architect Vasily Bazhenov. Photos by: Vladimir d’Ar.
Tags: Moscow city
Erzi translated from the Ingush means “eagle.” “In bad weather, when the entire lower part of the Armkhi valley is covered by clouds, the towers of Erzi resemble an eagle nest” writes in his book “In the country of towers and legends” the historian and ethnographer Batyr Malsagov.
The medieval tower complex Erzi, one of the largest tower complexes in Ingushetia, is located in the south of the republic, in Dzheyrakhsky district, opposite the village of Olgeti. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Ingushetia Republic
Rostov, also known as Rostov Veliky (meaning Rostov the Great), is a town with a population of about 30 thousand people located in the Yaroslavl region, 53 km south-west of Yaroslavl, on the shores of Lake Nero.
This is one of the oldest towns in Russia for the first time mentioned in chronicles in 862. In 1207-1474, it was the center of the Rostov principality. Today, Rostov is a tourist center of the route “Golden Ring of Russia”. Photos by: ivanchuk1.
Church of the Resurrection in Rostov Kremlin.
Kiprovo (formerly Saunino) is a small village with a population of about 200 people located in the Kargopol district of the Arkhangelsk region, 5 km from the town of Kargopol.
The village is known for its beautiful wooden church of St. John Chrysostom (1665) with a bell tower. The pictures of this architectural ensemble show how diverse wooden architecture can be depending on the view angle. Church of St. John Chrysostom in Saunino on Google Maps. Photos by: Alexandr Lipilin.
This beautiful wooden church, Church of the Transfiguration, was built in 1786. It is located in a small village of Posad (the central part of the village of Turchasovo) in the Onega district of the Arkhangelsk region.
Krasnoye (meaning “red”) is a village with a population of about 400 people located in Staritsa district of the Tver region, 20 kilometers north-west of the town of Staritsa.
In the second half of the 18th century, M.F. Poltoratsky, the owner of the manor in Krasnoye, decided to replace the old wooden church and built a new one.
Church of Nikola Mokryi (St. Nicholas the Wet) in Yaroslavl, built in 1662-1675, is located at Chaikovsky Street, 1.
The church was named after St. Nicholas, in honor of whom the icon “Nikola Mokryi” was painted on the basis of an ancient story. Photos by: Kirill Moiseev.
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, situated on the shore of Lake Siverskoye in the town of Kirillov of the Vologda region, is the largest monastery in Europe.
In the 15th-17th centuries, it was one of the largest and richest monasteries in Russia, the spiritual center of the Russian North. In 1924, the monastery was turned into a historical, architectural and art museum-reserve. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Vologda oblast
In the Chukhlomsky district of the Kostroma region, hidden between forests and abandoned villages, there is a beautiful wooden palace designed by the famous architect Ivan Ropet (1845-1908).
The house was built by Martyan Sazonov for Yelizaveta Dobrovolskaya, his second wife, in the late 19th century. He was of peasant origin but that did not stop him to go to St. Petersburg and become a major construction businessman. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Kostroma oblast
The city, founded as a fortress by the Swedes in 1293, is the only historical settlement in the region.
Tags: Leningrad oblast