Podolsk is a city in Russia standing on the banks of the Pakhra River, about 37 km from the center of Moscow, 15 km from the Moscow Ring Road. It is one of the largest satellite cities of Moscow (the second after Balashikha), a large industrial and cultural center of Moskovskaya oblast.
The population of Podolsk is about 291,000 (2015), the area - 40 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 4967, the postal codes - 142100-142134.
Podol was first mentioned in written sources as a village in 1606. It became a town by the Empress Catherine’s the Great order in 1781. The population of the town was 856 people. In the 18th century, the first stone buildings appeared in the town.
The main occupation of the inhabitants was mining of rubble and white stone, from which, for example, the famous Znamenskaya Church in Dubrovitsy was built. In 1781, Podolsk received a coat of arms with two golden pickaxes symbolizing the main occupation of the local residents.
In September 1812, the town was occupied by the French troops during the French Invasion of Russia. The Trinity Church, located in the center of the present city, was erected in memory of this event.
More Historical Facts…
The development of Podolsk was promoted by construction of the State Warsaw (Brest-Lithuanian) Highway in 1844-1847. In 1866, Moscow-Kursk Railway came to Podolsk, it favored the development of the local industry. In 1875, a cement-producing plant was opened (in 1913, cement made about 95% of all the freight taken from Podolsk).
In 1900, the American company “Zinger” began the construction of their plant in Podolsk, the first in the Russian Empire. Production of sewing machines began in 1902. In November 1918, the plant was nationalized by the Soviet power and production stopped. The first Soviet sewing-machines were produced only in 1924.
During the years of the Civil War, there was a significant reduction in the town’s population. In 1920, the population of Podolsk was about 12,000 people. By 1939, due to intensive industrial development, the city’s population reached 72,000 people. In the 1950s, industrial development continued. In 1979, the population of Podolsk was 201,700 people. It became the first city of the Moscow region (Moscow is not part of it) with a population of more than 200 thousand people.
Podolsk is a city of contrasts
The climate is temperate continental with relatively cold winter (early November - end of March) and warm humid summer (mid-May - early September). The average temperature in January is minus 9.4 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 18.4 degrees Celsius.
Podolsk is one of the largest industrial centers in the Moscow region. There are over 50 large and medium-sized industrial enterprises on the territory of the city. Besides, Podolsk is an important scientific center. There are several research institutions engaged mainly in nuclear machine-building and nuclear research.
Moscow - Kharkiv - Sevastopol railway passes through Podolsk. The federal highway M2 “Crimea” runs about 1 km east of Podolsk.
There are several Orthodox churches in the city. The Trinity (Troitsky) Cathedral (1819-1823) is the most famous. It was built in honor of the victory of the Russian Empire in the Russian-French War of 1812. During the Soviet regime, it was the only cathedral in the Moscow region open for visiting.
The Resurrection Church in Krasnaya Street is one of the oldest churches in Podolsk (first mentioned in 1627-1628).
The bridge across the river in Podolsk
The clock tower in the center of Podolsk
The Trinity Cathedral in Podolsk
Other places of interest in Podolsk
There are a lot of monuments and memorial boards in Podolsk. The most interesting are the architectural and sculpture ensemble built in memory of World War II (Slavy Square) and the monument-obelisk to Miloradovich grenadiers who died in the Podolsk land in 1812 (Sobornaya Square, in front of the Trinity Cathedral).
The former Ivanovskoye estate and Dubrovitsy manor ensemble are also one of the main attractions of Podolsk.
- Podolsk Museum of Local Lore: the main building (Sovetskaya Square, 7), the branch of the museum in Ivanovskoye Estate (Parkovaya Street, 1);
- The Historical and Memorial Museum-Reserve “Podolye” (Lenina Avenue, 47);
- The Federal Museum of Professional Education (Parkovaya Street, 1);
- Podolsk Showroom (Lenina Avenue, 113/62).
- Podolsk Drama Theater PDK Drama (Pochtovaya Street, 8);
- “Vecherniy Zvon” (“Evening Bells”) Theater (Sverdlova Street, 38).