Get free answers from our Russian expert!

Ask your question:

Your name:

Your email (optional):

What would you like to ask:

The answer will be even faster if you kindly follow us on Twitter @RussiaTrek or post some tweets related to our site (just mention it in the question field).

Most recent or choose the topic: Adoption, Airports, Apartments, Archives, Army, Business, Cities, Citizenship, Costs, Cruises, Currency, Distances, Driving, Ecology, Economics, Economy, Education, Enterprises, Entertainment, Flights, Flowers, Food, Genealogy, General, History, Holidays, Hotels, Hunting, Industries, Languages, Locations, Medicine, Misc, Money, Museums, Music, Nature, People, Photos, Politics, Post, Relatives, Religion, Roads, Safety, Sport, Study, Theaters, Trains, Travel, Visa, Wage, Weather, Work

Questions and answers:

Mel asks: Are any records of any type available from the towns of Novozybkov and Surazh? Thank you very much.
Expert's answer:
You can try to get in contact with the State Archives of Bryansk Oblast. You can automatically translate sites/pages in Russian by using the following service.
Sabina asks: My grandfather was born in Russia. How do I check for birth recoords?
Expert's answer:
You should contact regional archives. If Altai krai is the region of his birth, then this contacts page will probably be useful. The contacts of all Russian regional archives. You can use this service to automatically translate sites from Russian.
Agnes asks: I'm trying to trace my husband's Grandfather. He was born in Belgorod. I'm also trying to find the Gulag records of my husband's Great grandfather. He was sent to Siberia - from Poltava. Hopefully you can help me.
Expert's answer:
You should contact the State Archives of Belgorod oblast. As for the Gulag records, you can try to contact the State Archives of Russia. You can use this service to translate the sites from Russian if it is necessary.
KAREN asks: How could I find out if my mother was from that region? The family name is Novikov. My mother's name was Marfa & she was born in 1909. She immigrated to the United States around 1928 or 1929. Thanks for any information you can give me.
Expert's answer:
You can contact the State Archives of Bryansk oblast, use the following service to translate sites from Russian. All Russia Family Tree site will probably be useful too.
Al Dorof asks: I'm searching for the marriage license of my paternal grandmother, Eudokia Korechnikov, born 1880 or 1883 in Tomsk. She was married sometime between 1895 and 1905. Your suggestions are much appreciated.
Expert's answer:
You should contact the State Archives of Tomsk oblast. The following service to translate the sites from Russian if necessary.
Lyn Kokemor asks: My father was born in Tomsk in 1900 and I am wondering if it is possible to trace his family history. Thank you.
Expert's answer:
You can send your request to the State archive of Tomsk region (contacts). Also this site about genealogy research in Russia may be useful. You can translate the sites from Russian by using the following service.
Jacquleynn Himango asks: I am looking for a relative who was born in Jerantowitza Russian in about 1898. I am having difficulty even finding that such a town exists or existed. It was perhaps taken over by Poland at some point in one of the World Wars. Can you help me?
Expert's answer:
I haven't found any info regarding the settlement mentioned but you can try to contact Polish archival service and ask if they can help you.
alex asks: Is it possible to find about my family history through local archives of Belgorod oblast? How?
Expert's answer:

You should try to contact the State archive of Belgorod oblast. Postal code: 308024. Address: Russia, Belgorod city, Mokrousova Str., 14. Email: Site: Belgorod oblast State archive. The site is on Russian so you can use the following service to get general translation.

First of all send them the request by email with some details and your contact info. If there is no reply send the written request to the address provided with all the info you have, all questions and your contacts. It may work because in several cases there is much more attention to written requests.

crayccrayceresa asks: Can you tell me about Tula Land Bank operated in 1920th?
Expert's answer:

I have checked for the bank mentioned in your request but found no useful information. But while reading the info about State Archive of Tula oblast I have found that the archive has the documents of the banks (including Tula Land Bank) of Soviet period.

So I think you should try to contact the archive and ask them for help.

Here are the contacts:

State Archive of Tula oblast
Postal code: 300000
Address: Russia, Tulskaya oblast, Tula city, Lenina Str., 44a

First of all try to contact the archive by the emails provided, attach the pictures of the documents you have to the emails too. If nobody answers you can send the written request because in some cases there is much more attention to such types of requests.

Svetlana Artemoff asks: My great-grandfather is from Omsk and I will be there in August. Can you tell me how I can contact one of the local churches to find out where he is buried? Thank You
Expert's answer:
Today archives are the main source of such kind of information because all registration books of the churches that were not destroyed became the part of archives storage. You should try to contact The Archive Department of Omsk oblast (address: Omsk city, Tretyakovskaya Str., 1; email and The Historical Archive of Omsk oblast (address is the same as previous one; email
Jeffrey Kash asks: I have family who came from Novyye Bobovichi within the Bryansk Oblast. Is there still an active Orthodox church within the town to which I can mail a letter requesting information?
Expert's answer:

I have found the village Noviy Bobovichy, today it is very small settlement. I haven't found if the church is active now but if you are interested in some historical records of this church (Michael-Archangel church) there are several of them in Bryansk oblast archive where you can make your request (contact email of the archive and postal address is 241000 (postal code) Russia, Bryansk oblast, Bryansk city, Lunacharskogo Str., 66. Contact phone is +7 (4832) 66-25-48. Good luck!

Susan Low asks: Is there a place in Saratov that I can contact to find family records of relatives that lived there years ago? Thank you...Susan
Expert's answer:

You can contact the following organizations:

  • The State Archives of Saratov Oblast (address: Saratov, Kutyakova Street, 15; phone: +7 8452 26 32 39; email:
  • The State Archives of Contemporary History of Saratov Oblast (address: Saratov, Sakko i Vantsetti Street, 57; phone: +7 8452 26 41 49; email:
  • The Department of Archives of Saratov Oblast (address: Saratov, Moskovskaya Street, 72; phone: +7 8452 21 00 26; email:
Eva Robotnick asks: My father was Polish and arrested by the NKVD in 1939 and sent to a forced labor logging camp near Syktyvkar. Is there a map or list of these logging camps from 1939-1941? Is there an archive with this kind of information? If yes, how can I contact the archive?
Expert's answer:
You can contact the public organization "Memorial" that helps people to find info about their relatives suffered the repressions (general contact email is and Syktyvkar city branch of the organization email is
valerie rainey asks: I am trying to trace my family that originated in Ryazan. Are there adequate records going back to about 1890? The name is Tronoff.Kyzminishnai
Expert's answer:
I think you should make a request to Central Archive of Ryazan oblast. The postal address is Russia, Ryazan city, Lermontova Str., 9a. Contact phone: +7-4912-45-02-08. Email:

Sponsored Links: