Tambov (also spelled Tambow) is a city in Russia, an administrative center of Tambov region. It is standing on the river Tsna (the Volga River basin), 453 km from Moscow. Tambov is a railway juncture on South-Eastern railway, lines to Saratov and Kamyshin start here.
Tambov population is about 281,000 (2012).
The phone code is +7 4752; postal code - 392000.
Tambov was founded in 1636 on the bank of the Tsna River, where the river Studenets flows into it. It was built as a fortress for protecting borders of the Moscow state. The town fulfilled its destination - never has it been occupied by the enemy.
From the mid-18th century, Tambov started developing as a trade and economic center of a large agricultural district. In 1781, the first plan of the city’s construction was affirmed as well as the coat of arms of Tambov depicting a golden beehive and three bees on a blue-green background.
The city “jumped” ahead at the end of the 18th century, when G.R.Derzhavin was a vice-gerent. Thanks to him the streets of the city are geometrically strict and convenient. Besides, he founded a theater, a printing house, the first in Russia provincial newspaper “Tambovskiye izvestia” and a school.
In the first half of the 19th century were opened: a mathematics school, a spiritual school, a gymnasium, a public library, noble ladies’ Alexandrinsky Institute, Teachers’ Training Institute and a museum of history and ethnography.
By the end of the 19th century, intensive construction started in Tambov. There were metal-processing and agricultural plants. Hotels and restaurants were opened as well as large and small parks. In the 30s of the 20th century, the construction continued.
After the World War II, industry intensely grew. Tambov became one of the centers of chemical machine building. There were plants working mainly for military purpose.
In recent years a lot was done to honor the famous inhabitants of Tambov. The church of Russian Novomucheniki was opened. The same time Tambov became a University city: three higher institutions were united into two Universities - Technical and Classical.
Originally the name of the city was written like “Tonbov” and was related to a possible place where a fortress was founded - on the river Lipovitsa opposite Mordovian village Tonbov and the river Tonbov. Although the city was founded in another place it retained its original name.
The climate of Tambov city area is defined by its geographical position. The climate is of moderate continental type, all the seasons are clearly defined. The average temperature of the coldest month (January) is about -9 degrees Celsius, the warmest (July) - about +20 degrees Celsius.
Tambov transportation is presented by trolley-buses, buses, and minivans.
Tambov places of interest
Having become a modern center of the region, the city retained its special view combining new and traditional things. Present day Tambov means lively streets and quarters all in green, high new buildings and cozy old houses, old-fashioned small streets and alleys decorated with fountains.
There are over 30 monuments of culture, history and architecture. The most remarkable are the following:
- Pokrovskaya church and Voznesensky monastery
- The only in Tambov region Polish Roman Catholic church
- House-Palace of manufacturer M.V.Aseyev (a cardiology sanatorium is located in it nowadays)
- The asylum for the blind kids (Arts college nowadays)
- The house in the Russian Empire style in former estate of nobleman Lukyanenko (Museum of Medicine nowadays)
- The building of former Nobility Assembly (Drama and Puppet Theater)
- V.M.Seleznyov’s house - a building of the 19th century in Modern style
- Chairman of the Tambov Nobility Kondoidi’s House (the city’s administration nowadays).