Stary Oskol overview
Stary Oskol (also spelled Staryi Oskol, Staryj Oskol, Stariy Oskol) is a city located in Belgorod oblast of Russia. The city is standing on the banks of the Oskol River about 153 km northeast of Belgorod.
Stary Oskol has the population of about 260,000 (2012).
The phone code is +7 4725; postal codes - 309500-309554.
Stary Oskol history
The settlement of Oskol was founded in 1593 by Russian Tsar Fyodor Ioanovich’s order (Ivan’s the Terrible son) for defending the southern boundaries of Muscovite state. It was named Stary Oskol (meaning Old Oskol) in 1655 when the town Tsaryov-Alexeyev located down the river was renamed into Novy Oskol (New Oskol).
Since 1780, the town had its own coat of arms. In 1784, Stary Oskol like most of the towns in Russia was rebuilt according to a new plan signed by Emperor Catherine II. But a lot of fires absolutely burnt the town and while reconstructing a lot of brick houses were built, mostly two-storeyed. Historical center of Stary Oskol is preserved till nowadays. Reconstruction and restoration of old buildings is held at present.
For a long time agriculture has been the base of economics in the region. In 1894, the construction of the railway began and trade and industrial spheres of Stary Oskol started developing rapidly.
In 1980s, the city was a place of 3 All-Union Komsomol construction sites: Stoilensky and Lebedinsky ore mining and processing enterprises and Oskolsky electrometallurgy enterprise. That is why Stary Oskol is among the cities of Russia with the youngest population today. Average age of its citizens is about 35 years.
In the 21st century, Stary Oskol is a rapidly developing city leading in several positions in Russia. At present it is one of the leading mining and metallurgical centers of Russia. The industry is presented by almost all the branches and includes 37 plants.
Stary Oskol economics is based on unique ore resources, developed industry and infrastructure, high scientific potential, fertile lands.
Stary Oskol views
Staryi Oskol movie theater
Stary Oskol attractions
Among the main places of interest of Stary Oskol are:
Alexander Nevsky cathedral church. It was built no earlier than in 1908 as a regular church.
St.Trinity church. It was built in 1730 and is the oldest church in the city.
Stary Oskol museum of local study. It was founded in 1923 and shows the history of Stary Oskol within all historical periods.
The museum is located in the building which is a monument of history and culture of the 19th century which was owned by merchants and brothers Likhutins. About 95% of all the museums exhibits are originals which are of great interest.
The museum organizes tours round the city and the district with visits to ancient Russian settlement Kholki and underground monastery in Melovy mountains, biosphere reserve “Yamskaya steppe”.
Main tours: Fortress Oskol, Nature of Stary Oskol region, Ethnography of the region, Stary Oskol - the region of the 19th century.
Stary Oskol art museum. The collection of Stary Oskol masters of folk clay toys O.M.Goncharova and N.M.Goncharova is a real pearl of the museum.
Stary Oskol folk clay toys production was known from the end of the 18th century.
Vasily Yeroshenko literary museum. V.Ya.Yeroshenko’s life is a live legend for the blind not only in Russia but abroad.
He encourages disabled people, supports them with his talent, helps them on their ways to mastering techniques. Yeroshenko spoke 12 foreign languages and was the professor of Universities in Tokyo and Beijing, he became a classic of Japan literature for children.
September 12th, 2008, the Zoo was opened in the city. Bears, lions, tigers, monkeys, wolves, camels, ostriches and other kinds of birds and animals inhabit it.