Kirov (also known as Vyatka and Khlynov) is the capital and administrative center of Kirov region of Russia. The city is standing on the banks of the Vyatka River about 900 km east from Moscow.
Kirov population is about 478,000 (2012), land area - 170 sq. km.
The phone code is +7 8332; postal codes - 610000-610050.
Kirov is a big transportation juncture. Federal highway A119 “Vyatka” is very close to the city.
The city is also crossed by Severny (northern) (from Yaroslavl) and Novy (new) (from Nizhny Novgorod) branches of Trans-Siberian railway.
About 22 km from the main territory of Kirov, the airport “Pobedilovo” is located. There are regular flights to Moscow, Sochi and Naryan-Mar. Also there is a river port.
The main industries of the city are light, machine building, metallurgy and timber. There are several museums, theaters and universities in the city.
Novgorod city merchants founded Khlynov fort near the Ural Mountains in 1181. The settlement was first mentioned as town in 1374. Khlynov town became part of Moscow state in 1489. It was known all over Russia for its clay statuettes and whistles. The oldest monument in the present Kirov is the Assumption Cathedral built in 1689.
Khlynov was renamed to Vyatka by the order of the Russian ruler Catherine the Great in 1781. It was also made a center of separate guberniya. Vyatka was a place of exile for Alexander Gerzen and Mikhail Saltikov-Shedrin.
The Trans-Siberian railway passes through Vyatka. In December 1934, the city was again renamed by the Soviet powers after their leader, Sergey Kirov was assassinated on December 1, 1934.
The following museums are located in Kirov:
- V.M. and A.M.Vasnetsovs regional museum of local study;
- Vyatsky art museum, one of the oldest in Russia, founded in 1910 by local artists;
- K.E.Tsiolkovsky museum of aviation and space;
- Vyatskay kunstkamera;
- Kirovskaya diorama;
- M.E.Saltykov-Shedrin House-museum;
- A.S.Green museum;
- N.N.Khokhryakov House-museum;
- Kirovsky photo exhibition hall;
- Kirov exhibition hall;
- Kirovsky planetarium.
Kirov is one of the most historical cities in Russia since 1970. In the city, there are 11 historical monuments, 22 architectural monuments, 3 art monuments and 1 archaeological monument of federal importance.
Assumption Trifonov monastery is standing on the Vyatka River. It is one of the oldest cultural monuments. In the center of it, there is a Cathedral church named “Virgin Assumption”, built in 1689. In the 1990s, a number of ensemble buildings were restored after being destroyed during the Soviet time. Today it is a functioning monastery.
Alexandrovsky garden is one of the finest examples of park architecture of provincial classicism. It was founded in 1825 when Emperor Alexander I visited Vyatka.
Serafim Sarovsky church was built in 1906. In 1937, the church was re-made as an anti-religious museum. In 1942, worship services began in the church and lasted until 1991. It was the only open church in Kirov and had the status of the cathedral.