Kemerovo is a city located in the south of Western Siberia, in the northern part of Kuznetsk coal basin. Being the capital of Kemerovo oblast, it is an important administrative, economic, scientific, cultural, transport and industrial center of Russia, standing on both banks of the Tom River, about 3,630 km east of Moscow.
Kemerovo population is about 549,000 (2015), the land area - 282 sq. km.
The phone code is +7 3842, the postal codes are 650000-650099, 650900-650907.
The official foundation date of Kemerovo is 1918. But it should be mentioned that large coal deposits were discovered in the area in 1721, and seven villages (Borovaya, Davydovo, Kemerovo, Krasny Yar, Kur-Iskitim, Shcheglovka, Yevseyevo) were situated on the present territory of the city by 1859.
In 1907, the first coal mines were constructed. Later, in 1916, chemical works were established. The population of Shcheglovka village was about 4,000 by 1917. Further quick developing of the village was the result of the construction of the railway that connected Yurga and Kulchugino settlements via Shcheglovka village.
In 1918, Shcheglovka became a town and Kemerovo village became part of it. In 1932, the town got a new name - Kemerovo. In 1943, the town became the capital of the region.
During the Soviet times, Kemerovo developed into a major industrial center of Siberia with chemical and manufacturing industries.
Today, Kemerovo is one of the largest industrial centers in the east of Russia; the city of energy, engineering, and chemistry.
Graffiti on apartment buildings in Kemerovo
There are over 100 large and medium plants in Kemerovo producing about 95% of the total output of the city. Chemical industry is developed as well as power engineering, machine-building, ferrous metallurgy, light, food and processing industries. Chemical industry is the leading one in the city, it produces almost 20% of all the output, every third citizen works in this industry.
The plants of Kemerovo produce coke, mineral fertilizers, cloth, clothes, shoes, food and a lot of other products. In some types of products the plants of Kemerovo have the leading position not only in the region, but also in the Russian Federation.
Further development of chemical industry and ferrous metallurgy is linked with reconstruction and upgrading, building new capacities, fulfilling the projects aimed at improving the environmental situation in the city and reducing the air pollution. The plants of food and processing industries are rapidly developing too.
Park Chudes entrance in Kemerovo
Lenin monument in Kemerovo
The name “Kemerovo” was probably derived from the Turkish “kemer” (a mountain slope, a bank, a ravine, a hill, a mountain). Kemerovo City Day is celebrated on June 12.
The climate of the city is continental. The average temperature in January is minus 17 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 19 degrees C.
Kemerovo International Airport is located 2.5 kilometers southeast of the city outskirts, offering flights to Moscow, Phuket, Bangkok, Goa, Hurghada.
The city has a number of enterprises of chemical, engineering and coal industries, which have a negative impact on the environment. In recent years, emissions from factories and other stationary sources decreased.
At the same time, growth in the number of cars has led to an increase in the volume of air emissions from this source, but precise data on air pollution caused by transport is not available.
October 16, 2006, Kuznetsky bridge was opened. It is one of the widest bridges (40,5 meters) in Siberia.
The movie theater Moskva in Kemerovo
Kemerovo Regional Drama Theater
Kemerovo places of interest
- Kemerovo Regional Museum of Local Lore (Sovetsky Avenue, 51, 55 and Pritomskaya Embankment, 1a);
- The Museum “Archaeology, Ethnography and Ecology of Siberia” of Kemerovo State University (Sovetsky Avenue, 77);
- Kemerovo Regional Museum of Fine Arts (Sovetsky Avenue, 48);
- The Museum-Reserve “Krasnaya Gorka” (“Red Hill”) formed for preserving the historical center of Kemerovo - the district of Krasnaya Gorka. The historical and architectural monuments built in the early 20th century are the center of the museum. The river bank is a part of the museum, it is a unique natural object reflecting the geological history of Kuznetsk land. In 2003, the monument to perished miners of Kuzbass was erected there (Krasnaya Gorka Street, 17);
- The Museum of the History of Orthodoxy (Sobornaya Street, 24, on the second floor of “Pilgrim’s House”);
- The Museum-Preserve of Primitive Rock Painting “Tomskaya Pisanitsa” (Tomskaya Street, 5a).
- Kemerovo Regional Drama Theater named after Lunacharsky (Vesennyaya Street, 11),
- Kemerovo Regional Puppet Theater named after Arkady Gaidar (Vesennyaya Street, 18),
- Music Theater named after A. Bobrov (Sovetsky Avenue, 52),
- Kemerovo State Regional Philharmonic named after B.T. Shtokolov (Sovetsky Avenue, 68),
- The Theatre for Children and Youth (Arochnaya Street, 37),
- Kemerovo State Circus (Lenin Avenue, 56).
- The Pine Forest in Rudnichniy district of the city, on the right bank of the Tom River;
- The Birch Grove - two parks and a forest in Kirov district;
- “Park Chudes” (“Wonderland Park”) - a recreation park with rides, concert venues, cafes located in the central part of Kemerovo;
- Victory Park named after Zhukov - a park in Central district, on the left bank of the Iskitim River. The park has an exposition of Soviet military equipment of the 1950s-1980s;
- “Antoshka” Park - a park in Central district, on the left bank of the Iskitim. The park is known for its wild ducks living on the river year round. In winter 2014-2015, the total number of ducks was more than 1,200;
- The Park named after Vera Voloshina - a park in Central district of the city also known as “Komsomol Park”;
- Kuzbass Park - a park in Lenin district.