CAT | Art
The Episcopal Chamber (Chamber of Facets) is an architectural monument of the 15th century located in the territory of the ancient fortress (Kremlin) in Veliky Novgorod.
This is one of the oldest surviving civic buildings in Russia included in the UNESCO World Heritage list, along with other historical buildings of Novgorod the Great.
Tags: Novgorod city
Vologda, included in the list of Russian cities that have particularly valuable historical heritage, has a unique museum – Museum of Lace, the only one in the country.
The museum is located in the historic center of the city, in a two-story stone building – the object of cultural heritage of the 18th century (Kremlovskaya Square, 12). Working hours: 10:00 – 17:00. Closed: Monday, Tuesday.
One of the main attractions of Ekaterinburg is an abandoned unfinished television tower, the tallest building in the city (219 meters). Construction began in 1983, but, in 1991, because of the crisis in the country, it was stopped.
Since that time a number of projects for the reconstruction of the tower appeared, but none of them was approved. Recently, one more interesting project has been proposed.
Russia’s only amber museum is located in the defensive tower “Der Dona” in Kaliningrad (Marshal Vasilevsky Square, 1).
The museum exhibition occupies 28 halls with a total area of more than one thousand square meters. A significant part of the collection consists of amber pieces with inclusions of fragments of ancient flora and fauna. Photos by: Alexander Lipilin.
Tags: Kaliningrad city
The State Art-Architectural Palace-Park Museum-Reserve “Pavlovsk” is a palace and park ensemble of the late 18th – early 19th centuries, located in the town of Pavlovsk, a suburb of St. Petersburg.
The centerpiece of the complex is the Pavlovsk Palace, the summer palace of Paul I, Emperor of the Russian Empire in 1796-1801.
Tags: Saint Petersburg city
Joseph Daziaro (1806-1865) came to the Russian Empire from Italy in the early 1820s. He started publishing business, his firm was Russia’s first private publishing house of printed art graphics.
Let’s look at his lithographs united under the title “Memories of St. Petersburg.” Most of them were made on the basis of pictures drawn by Charlemagne brothers: Josif Charlemagne (1824-1870) and Adolf Charlemagne (1826-1901). Source: aldusku.
Dvortsovy (Palace) Bridge.
Tags: Saint Petersburg city
Kronstadt Naval Cathedral of St. Nicholas in Saint Petersburg was built on the project of the outstanding Russian architect V.A. Kosyakov as the main church of the Russian Navy in 1903-1913. On the memorial plaques installed inside the church, you can see the names of sailors who died in the line of duty.
Originally, the cathedral had richly decorated exterior and interior. In Soviet times, it was closed (1929) and was used as a movie theater, and later – as a club. Unfortunately, almost all historical decoration was lost.
Alexander Mikhailovich Rodchenko (1891-1956), a Russian graphic artist, sculptor and photographer, was a true genius of Soviet propaganda, one of the founders of constructivism, the founder of design and advertising in the USSR.
Rodchenko is probably the most famous Russian photographer, almost everybody in Russia has seen at least a couple of his photos. Let’s get acquainted with some of his works. Source: humus.
On the corner of Myasnitskaya Street in Moscow (1920s)
Tags: Soviet past
On the central squares and streets of almost every city, town, and even village of the former Soviet Union, you can easily find a monument to Vladimir Lenin. Yelabuga, a small town in the Republic of Tatarstan, is no exception.
The town has probably the most unusual monument to Lenin in Russia. Just look at this marvel of monumental sculpture – the high stele with the tiny bust of Lenin on top. Photos by: Anton Petrus.
Russia is known for its craftsmen. Today, let’s look at the following pictures carved in wood by the members of Dubovik family from Bryansk.
All the pictures are done carefully, with a good prospect in unique style. The size of most of the works with frames – 60-90 сm.
Tags: Bryansk city