Khanty-Mansiysk is a city in Russia, the capital of Khanty-Mansi autonomous okrug (Yugra). It is one of the most beautiful and unusual cities of Western Siberia, with a unique natural landscape, architectural appearance, high level of service, and developed infrastructure.
The population of Khanty-Mansiysk is about 95,300 (2015), the area - 338 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 3467, the postal codes - 628000-628991.
In 1582, the Cossacks were exploring the region of the confluence of the Ob and Irtysh rivers. They didn’t encounter any serious resistance, until they met Prince Samar, the leader of the local tribe of Ostyaks, who decided to fight the intruders. But he couldn’t defend the territory, and was killed. The settlement was looted and fell into decay. Only half a century later, this territory in Siberia became part of the Russian state.
In 1630s, the first settlers began to move to the lower reaches of the Irtysh for service of postal tracts. And, in 1635, one of the first official documents on the establishment of Samarovo settlement was signed.
In the 17th century, a favorable location at the intersection of important routes allowed Samarovo settlement to become a center of trade. In the 18th century, residents of the settlement had to learn crafts and production, because the main trade routes shifted to the south, when the Russian Empire captured the Eastern Siberia. In the 19th century, this village attracted travelers, researchers, scholars and even royal persons.
More Historical Facts…
At the turn of the 19th-20th centuries, Samarovo became a prosperous village. Rich landowners, merchants and fishermen were living here. Their large two-story houses became a decoration of the village. In 1906, after the first Russian revolution, the first exiles began to arrive in Samarovo. Soviet power was proclaimed in 1918.
In 1930, a decree on the formation of Ostyako-Vogulsk National District was signed. In 1931, construction of a new capital of the district began in 5 km from Samarovo. It was named Ostyako-Vogulsk. The new village and Samarovo were connected by a road in 1937. Later, it became known as “Khanty-Mansiysk street”. In 1940, Ostyako-Vogulsk was renamed Khanty-Mansiysk.
In 1950, Khanty-Mansiysk became a town with Samarovo as its part. In 1953, a natural gas field was discovered near the village of Beryozovo. Seven years later, the first oil field was found on the banks of the Konda River, near the village of Shaim. Since that time, the new history of Khanty-Mansiysk began. Thousands of people came here to develop this oil and gas region.
In 1993, the Khanty-Mansiysk region became the subject of the Russian Federation, and received the right to form its own budget. Significant funds were allocated for the development of transport and municipal infrastructure, the preservation of traditional culture of indigenous peoples. In 1996, the federal highway connected Khanty-Mansiysk with Surgut, Nefteyugansk and Tyumen.
In 2004, a unique bridge was built over the Irtysh River. The highway through the village of Gornopravdinsk, opened in 2010, reduced the distance from Khanty-Mansiysk to Tyumen by 300 km.
The first decade of the 21th century was marked by the establishment of educational and scientific centers, unique cultural and sports facilities: the ski complex “Coniferous Urman”, Ice Palace, the stadium “Ugra-Athletics”, Tennis Center, the cultural and tourist complex “Archeopark”, the equestrian club “Mustang”, Ugra Chess Academy and others.
On July 26-27, 2008, the summit Russia - European Union took place here, and afterwards - the 5th All-World Congress of Finno-Ugric Peoples on June 27-30, 2008.
Gradually, Khanty-Mansiysk is becoming more accessible, convenient, and interesting for citizens of Russia and foreigners. It is gaining popularity at the international level, demonstrating its capabilities in holding international sports competitions and cultural events.
General view of Khanty-Mansiysk
State Art Museum in Khanty-Mansiysk
Khanty-Mansiysk is one of the few Russian administrative centers which is smaller than the other cities of the region. It is only the fourth largest city in the Khanty-Mansi region after Surgut, Nizhnevartovsk, Nefteyugansk.
The city is located in the central part of Western Siberia, on the bank of the Irtysh River, just 20 km from the place of confluence of the Ob and the Irtysh. The distance to Tyumen is 676 km, to Moscow - more than 2,600 km, to St. Petersburg - more than 3,000 km.
The climate is continental. The average temperature in January is minus 18.9 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 18.4 degrees C.
Khanty-Mansiysk is the center of skiing of world importance. Since the early 2000’s, it is a modern biathlon center. The city hosts one of the stages of the Biathlon World Cup. That’s why local tourism industry is relatively well-developed. There are more than 30 hotels in the city.
The city has a hockey club Yugra (Khanty-Mansiysk), which represents the city in the Kontinental Hockey League.
Khanty-Mansiysk is quite eco-friendly city because there are no large industrial enterprises. Most houses are heated by small gas boilers.
Khanty-Mansiysk international airport offers flights to Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Tyumen, Ufa.
There is a port on the Irtysh River. Passenger boats connect the city with other cities and villages of the region, as well as with Tobolsk, Omsk and Salekhard.
The nearest railway station - Pyt-Yakh - is located 248 km from Khanty-Mansiysk. After the opening of a new road through Gornopravdinsk, the nearest railway station is Demyanka, located 238 km from the city.
Khanty-Mansiysk street view
Khanty-Mansiysk street scenery
Church of the Resurrection in Khanty-Mansiysk
Khanty-Mansiysk places of interest
The city is surrounded by a nature reserve - the park “Samarovsky Chugas”, located on an area of 6.7 hectares. In the streets and squares of Khanty-Mansiysk, you can find about 60 monuments and sculptures. Two park with birch groves - Boris Losev Park and Victory Park - are the real decoration of the city.
The oldest area of the city is the historical district Samarovo with its own central square, the Church of the Holy Virgin, and a river station. The center of Khanty-Mansiysk is the area of Engels, Mira, Chekhov, Kalinin, Dzerzhinsky streets. The main streets radiate from the central square with the buildings of the Government and the Duma of the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District and other business, cultural, recreational and shopping facilities.
The bridge over the Irtysh River is often called the “Red Dragon” because of the “aggressive” architectural solutions and red color. This is one of the most beautiful bridges not only in Western Siberia, but in Russia.
- Museum of Geology, Oil and Gas (Chekhov Street, 9),
- Museum of Nature and Man (Mira Street, 11),
- Ethnographic Open-Air Museum “Torum Maa” (Dunin Street - Gorkavich Street, 6),
- State Art Museum (Mira Street,2 ).
Also, the city has a concert and theater center, a movie theater, three theaters, a center of culture and folk crafts. The Park of Slavic Writing and Culture is the only one in Russia and the world. There are three churches: Znamenskaya Church, Church of the Resurrection, the Church of the Holy Virgin.
In September 2010, Ugra Chess Academy was opened. It was built on the original design of the Dutch architect Erick van Egeraat.