Volzhsky is a city in Russia, the second largest city of the Volgograd region. It is an important industrial center located on the left bank of the Akhtuba River, about 20 km northeast of the center of Volgograd city.
The population of Volzhsky is about 326,000 (2015), the area - 150 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 8443, the postal codes - 404100-404133.
In the 14th century, one or even several settlements of the Golden Horde were located on the site of present Volzhsky. The first Russian settlements on the left bank of the Volga, near Volzhsky, were founded in the 15th century.
From the 17th century, in the south-eastern part of the present city, there was Bezrodnoye settlement, also known as Verkhnyaya Akhtuba. The name derived from the people who escaped there and assimilated that place - “bezrodny” means “someone without family”.
In 1917, the population of this town was about 20,000. During the Stalingrad Battle, it was completely destroyed. Only a school building and a mill survived.
More Historical Facts…
Construction of the Stalingrad power station was the reason for founding a new settlement in Verkhnyaya Akhtuba. Builders were accommodated in the houses of the settlement dwellers. Construction management was also transferred there from Stalingrad.
As a settlement Volzhsky was officially registered in 1952. July 22, it was reformed into a town due to the construction of Volzhskaya hydro power station (1950-1961). This date is marked by the locals as the City Day. At that time, about 30,000 people lived in the town.
On the street in Volzhsky
Apartment buildings in Volzhsky
Volzhsky is connected with Volgograd, the capital of the region, by the dam of Volzhskaya hydro power station. It is a city-companion of Volgograd.
The city is a large industrial center of the Lower Volga area - chemical, ferrous metallurgy, power engineering, machine-building and food industries are well developed. The local chemical plants make Volzhsky one of the largest centers of chemical industry in Europe.
Volzhsky station of Privolzhsky railway is the only railway hub on the left bank of the Volga River connecting Volgograd and Astrakhan. The city is located on an important transport route linking the southern regions of Russia (for example, the Astrakhan and Rostov regions) with Kazakhstan. Urban transport is represented by buses and trams.
Volzhsky has a large river port. The Volga gives access to the Caspian Sea.
Interesting facts about Volzhsky
Volzhsky is one of the greenest cities in Russia. The fact is that when the general plan of the city was affirmed in 1950, the architects had the task to protect the city from the winds and sandy storms.
There is a double numeration of the houses: by streets and by districts. On Pushkin Street there is a unique house where apartments have double number.
The city was suggested various names: Pyatimorsk, Elektrograd, Hydrograd. There is a legend that the city was to be named The City of the Sun after the Utopian work by Tommaso Campanella. Especially for the city a sculpture of the writer was made, but later the decision was changed.
In the courtyard of an apartment house in Volzhsky
Volzhsky public bathhouse
Volzhsky is a young city, so it has a few historical sites. While visiting the city one can pay attention to the following places of interest:
- Volzhskaya hydropower plant - the main attraction of the city with a panoramic view of the Volga and neighboring Volgograd;
- The center of Volzhsky (Lenina Square) with the building of the hotel “Akhtuba” and the walking area, which ends at the picture gallery and the church;
- Palace Square with the Palace of Culture. Behind it there is a recreation park “Hydrostroitel” with fountains, a summer-house in classical style and sculptures in socialist realism style;
- Pedestrian Street Fontannaya starting on Palace Square and leading to the waterfront. At the end of the street, there is a museum of local study, Ceremony House and the monument to commemorate Volzhsky foundation;
- Water Tower on Karl Marx Street, 45;
- Aqua Park in the eastern part of the city;
- Old cemetery known for its pantheon with a colonnade and gravestones. It is located behind Rabochy settlement to the right of Lenina Avenue;
- Monument to the first tram in Volzhsky located opposite the tram depot;
- Monument to the first builders of Volzhsky on Naberezhnaya Street, opposite the museum of local study;
- Monument to F.G.Loginov, the founder of the city, on Stroiteley Square as well memorial boards with pictures of the famous locals;
- Monument to victims of political repression located behind the hotel “Akhtuba”, in the park named after the 60th anniversary of the October Revolution;
- Old mill located in the block #36.
Volzhsky museums, galleries, theaters
- Volzhsky Local History Museum (Fontannaya Street, 10),
- Museum of History of Culture of Volzhsky (Lenina Avenue, 54),
- Volzhsky Art Gallery (Stalingradskaya Street, 2),
- Chernoskutov’s Exhibition Hall (Lenina Avenue, 97),
- Volzhsky Drama Theater (Sovetskaya Street, 3),
- Puppet and Cinema Theater Harlequin (Komsomolskaya Street, 17).