Volzhsky (also spelled Volzhski) is the second largest city of Volgograd region of Russia, important industrial center. The city is located on the left bank of the Akhtuba River, about 20 km northeast of Volgograd central part.
Volzhsky has the population of about 314,000 (2012); land area - 150 sq. km.
The phone code is +7 8443; postal codes - 404100-404133.
In the 14th century, one or some settlements of the Golden Horde were located on the place of present day Volzhsky. The first settlements of the Russian people on the left bank of the Volga near Volzhsky were founded in the 15th century, earlier than Tsaritsyn.
From the 17th century, in the southeastern part of the present city, there was the settlement Bezrodnoye, also known as Verkhnyaya Akhtuba. The name derived from the people who escaped there and assimilated that place - “bezrodny” means “someone without family”.
By 1917, the population of the town was about 20,000. During Stalingrad battle it was completely destroyed. Only the school building and the mill survived. The construction of Stalingrad power station was the reason of forming of a new settlement in Verkhnyaya Akhtuba. The builders were accommodated in the houses of the settlement dwellers. The construction management was also transferred there from Stalingrad.
As a settlement Volzhsky was registered in 1952 with the population of 10,000. On July 22, it was reformed into the town due to the construction of Volzhskaya hydro power station (1950-1961). This date is marked by the citizens as the City Day. At that time about 30,000 people lived in the town.
Volzhsky streets views
Volzhsky is located 20 km to the northeast of Volgograd, on the left bank of the river Akhtuba. It is connected with the region center by the dam of Volzhskaya hydro power station. Volzhsky is a city-companion of Volgograd.
It is one of the greenest cities in Russia. The fact is that when the general plan of the city was affirmed in 1950, the architects had the task to protect the city from the winds and sandy storms.
Some interesting facts about Volzhsky:
There is a double numeration of the houses: by streets and by districts. On Pushkin Street there is a unique house where apartments have double number.
The city was suggested various names: Pyatimorsk, Elektrograd, Hydrograd. There is a legend that the city was to be named a City of Sun after the Utopian work by Tomazo Campanella. Especially for the city the sculpture of the writer was built, but later the decision was changed.
Volzhsky is a large industrial center of the Lower Volga area. Main industries are as follows: chemical, ferrous metallurgy, power engineering, machine-building and food industry. Plants of chemical industry make the city one of the largest centers of this industry in Europe.
Volzhsky station of Volgograd department of Privolzhsky railway is the only railway juncture on the left bank of the Volga which connects Volgograd and Astrakhan.
Volzhsky apartments house
Volzhski public bathhouse
Volzhsky places of interest
As Volzhsky is a young city it has a little of historical places of interest. While visiting the city one can pay attention to the following places of interest:
- The center of the city (Lenin Square) with the building of the hotel “Akhtuba” and the walking area which ends at the picture gallery and the church.
- The picture gallery in the building of the old school on Akhtuba embankment. Nearby there is a monument and a ground with a panoramic view of Volgograd and the water-meadow.
- Palace Square with the Palace of culture. Behind it there is Recreation Park “Hydrostroitel” with fountains, a summer-house in classical style and sculptures in socialist realism style.
- Walking street Fontannaya (Fountain) which starts on Palace Square and heads for embankment. At the end of the street there is the museum of local study, Ceremony House and the monument to commemorate Volzhsky foundation.
- The water tower on Karl Marx street.
- Aqua park in the eastern part of the city.
- The dam of Volzhskaya power station with a panoramic view of the Volga and neighboring Volgograd.
- The old cemetery interesting by its pantheon with a colonnade and gravestones. It is located behind the settlement Rabochy to the right of Lenin prospect.
- The monument to the first tram in Volzhsky. It is located opposite the tram depot.
- The memorial to the first builders of Volzhsky on Naberezhnaya street, opposite the museum of local study.
- The monument to the founder of the city F.G.Loginov on Stroiteley square as well memorial boards with the pictures of famous citizens.
- The monument to political repression victims located behind the hotel “Akhtuba”, in the park named after the 60th anniversary of the October Revolution.
- The old mill located in the quarter #36.