Vladikavkaz (also spelled Vladikavkas) is a city located in the southern part of Russia, in the middle of the Northern Caucasus, the capital of the Republic of North Ossetia (Alania). In Soviet times it was called Ordzhonikidze (1931-1944, 1954-1990) and Dzaudzhikau (1944-1954).
The population of Vladikavkaz consists of (2002 est.): Osetins - 59,51%, Russians - 27,59%, Armenians - 3,89%, Georgians - 2,32 %. The city is located in northern Caucasus, on the banks of the river Terek, 30 km from Daryal canyon, where Voyenno-Gruzinskaya road starts.
Vladikavkaz population is about 310,000 (2012).
The phone code is +7 8672; postal codes - 362000-362048.
Vladikavkaz was founded in 1784 near Osetin settlement of Dzudzhikau, or, according to other versions, Zaurovo or Kapkai. Originally it was a fortress closing entrance to Daryal canyon.
The emperor Catherine II named the new fortress Vladikavkaz (“the city that holds Caucasus”). More than once the city was visited by A.S.Griboyedov, A.S.Pushkin, M.Yu.Lermontov, L.N.Tolstoy, A.N.Ostrovsky.
During the Russian Civil War, the city was ruled by Denikin army from February 1919 till 1920. In 1924, Gorskaya Autonomous Republic was divided into national oblasts (provinces) and the city was declared the capital of both Ingush and Osetin autonomous oblasts, and remained that status till 1933.
A railway connects Vladikavkaz with the town of Beslan which is a large railway juncture on the line Rostov-on-Don - Baku. There are regular trains to Moscow, Adler, Anapa, Novorossiysk and Saint-Petersburg. Local electric trains run to Beslan and Mineralnye Vody towns.
In the outskirts of Beslan the airport Vladikavkaz is located, with regular flights to Moscow. Voeyenno-Gruzinskaya (Military-Georgian) road starts in Vladikavkaz connecting Russia and Georgia.
The city transportation consists of trams (since August 1904), trolley-buses (since February 1977), buses and minivans. Among the main industries of the city are food, light, machine-building, non-ferrous metallurgy etc.
Vladikavkaz Russia scenery
Vladikavkaz places if interest
Prospect Mira (former Alexandrovsky prospect) is a historical and cultural center of Vladikavkaz, it is a street for pedestrians only.
Osetinskaya Church (built in 1860) is the only oldest building which was not ruined after it was built in the fortress before Vladikavkaz became a city.
Armenian Church of St.George the Enlightener (1868).
Sunitskaya mosque (1907), served as a museum in the 40s of the 20th century. The mosque was fully restored in 1997 and became a church.
Memorials to the participants of the World War of 1941-1945, the Civil War and to the outstanding personalities of Ossetia.
A lot of 2-3 storeyed brick houses of the end of the 19th century, the early 20th century.