Maykop is a city in Russia, the capital of Adygeya Republic, located on the left bank of the Belaya (White) River, about 1,400 km south of Moscow.
The population of Maykop is about 144,000 (2015), the area - 58.6 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 8772, the postal codes - 385000-385452.
Present day Maykop was founded by General Kozlovsky in 1857. Initially it was a Russian military fortification populated by the Kuban Cossacks, located on the territory of the Abadzekhs, a large sub-ethnic group of the Adyghes. In 1858-1863, due to its strategic position, the fortress was playing an important role during the end of the Caucasus War.
In 1870-1871, the village became a district town - the center of Maykop district of the Kuban region. In 1895, a public library was opened. In September 1909, an oil field was discovered near the town.
After the Bolshevik uprising, Soviet power was established in Maykop. In September, 1918, the town was captured by the Kuban Cossacks under the command of General Pokrovsky. In March, 1920, they were ousted from Maykop by the 1st Cavalry Army of the Red Army.
More Historical Facts…
In 1938, oil pumping through the Grozny-Tuapse pipeline began. In 1936, Maykop with the surrounding territories joined the Adygeya Autonomous oblast and became the capital city of the region.
During the Second World War, Maykop was occupied by the forces of Nazi Germany from August 9, 1942 till January 29, 1943. October 24, 1942, Soviet paratroopers were sent to capture the local airfield. Unfortunately this military operation ended in failure because of poor coordination.
In 1990, the Adygei Regional Council of People’s Deputies adopted a decision to transform the Adygei Autonomous Region in the Republic of Adygea.
February 3, 2014, the Olympic torch relay took place in Maykop. The route was from the racetrack to the republican stadium in the city park.
MiG-23 jet fighter in Maykop
Maykop is one of the most beautiful cities in the Northern Caucasus region. It is due to broad streets, a lot of green trees and bushes, squares, and a very picturesque park above the Belaya River.
The word “maykop” from the language of Adygeya people means “a valley of apple trees”. There is a military base on the southern side of Maykop, along the river, housing the 131st Motor Rifle Brigade of the North Caucasus Military District.
Maykop has mild temperate climate. The average temperature in January is minus 0.5 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 22.8 degrees Celsius.
Maykop is a large transport hub. Local trains carry passengers to the coast of the Black Sea (to Tuapse, Sochi, Adler). Trolleybuses are used as the main form of public transport.
There are two main universities in Maykop: Adygeya State University and Maykop State Technological University.
The city has almost the entire industry of Adygeya. The main industries are food, wood-processing, paper and pulp, machine-building, metal-working, and light industries.
The House of Communications in Maykop
Oktyabr movie theater in Maykop
Maykop places of interest
Maykop is known worldwide for its archaeological excavations of the end of the 19th century. They resulted in finding Maykop Hills of the Bronze Age. Precious vessels were found in the tribe leader’s burial. Today, they are exposed in the State Hermitage (a museum of art and culture in St. Petersburg).
The center of Maykop is formed by Drouzhba (Friendship) Square with the monument “Drouzhba” (1968), erected in honor of the 400th anniversary of uniting with Russia, and also by Lenin Square with a number of governmental buildings.
Among the large public buildings worth noting are the following ones: “Agygeya” hotel (1956), the Communications House (1956), “Oktyabr” movie theater (1961), the Justice House (1966), Maykop Art School (1972), Adygeya Government House (1988), the National Museum of Local Study (1992).
On the northern outskirts of Maykop, there is a memorial on the common grave of the Red Army soldiers, perished in September 1918, and the soldiers killed during the airborne operation in 1942.
There is also a recreation area in Maykop - Recreation Park stretching along the Belaya River. The outskirts of Maykop, especially the Belaya River canyon, attract tourists because of the beautiful nature and a lot of places of interest.
In the Upper Belyay there is the Caucasian State Reserve founded in 1924. Most of its part and its center - Guzeripl - are located on the territory of Adygeya Republic.
Museums and Theaters…
- The National Museum of the Republic of Adygea has rich collections of folk art and crafts, among them - unique collections of gold-sewn works, silver coins, and daggers (Sovetskaya Street, 229);
- The State Museum of Oriental Art, located in one of the most beautiful buildings of the city, has an interesting exhibition devoted to the culture of Adygea (Pervomayskaya Street, 221);
- Adygea Art Gallery exhibits paintings of local artists (Krasnooktyabrskaya Street, 27).
- The National Theater of the Republic of Adygea (Pushkin Street, 179),
- Pushkin State Drama Theater (Pushkin Street, 179),
- Chamber Music Theater of the Republic of Adygea named after A.A.Hannah (Krasnooktyabrskaya Street, 61),
- The Puppet Theatre “Golden Jar” (“Chocolate”) (Pionerskaya Street, 300),
- The State Philharmonic of the Republic of Adygea (Pionerskaya Street, 300),