Kurgan is an administrative center of Kurgan oblast. The city is standing on the Tobol River banks about 2,000 km from Moscow. It is one of the oldest Siberian cities. There is an airport in Kurgan.
Kurgan population - 328,000 (2012), land area - 393 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 3522; postal codes - 640000-640020.
Kurgan received its name after monumental nomad burial places (“kurgans”). Architectural monuments of the 19th-20th centuries can be found among the city constructions.
The outlook of Kurgan changed together with political epochs changes. Before the revolution of 1917, Kurgan consisted of wooden houses. After collectivization process started the city grew but prevalence of the so-called “private sector” remained till the 50s of the 20th century.
High-rise buildings started being constructed in the city when the country restored after the war. First these were 3- and 4-storey buildings in the center of the city. It was the time when the ensemble of the Central Square was formed.
But the final outlook of the central streets and yards was determined in the 60s-70s. The district Zaozyorny was constructed in this period.
More Facts about Kurgan…
Starting from the end of the 1990s, there were 2 tendencies in Kurgan construction: cottage districts and point construction.
The 21th century began with the developing of Zaozyorny district (the 4th district began being formed) and high-rise buildings construction - 17-storey ones (before that the building of tax police constructed in socialist time had been the only skyscraper in Kurgan).
In the city there is the exhibition center, Kurgan arts museum, Kurgan aviation museum, several museums linked with the history of the region, among them Kurgan museum of local study, the Decembrists house-museums as well as of poets and fairy-tale tellers.
There is the Puppet show theater “Gulliver”, the regional Drama theater, regional philharmonic society, young spectator theater “Subota” (Saturday).
There are the following educational institutes in the city: Kurgan Agricultural Academy, Kurgan State University, Kurgan International University, Kurgan Military Academy, Kurgan Railroad school Academy.
The exact foundation date of Kurgan is unknown. The official foundation date is 1662 and the first name of the settlement - Tsaryovo Gorodishche. In 1738, the settlement received new name - Kurgan Sloboda (Kurganskaya Sloboda). In 1782, the settlement received town status and name Kurgan.
In 1856, the population of Kurgan town was about 3,500. There were two stone churches and seven stone houses. In 1892, the railway was built connecting Kurgan with other parts of Russia.
Kurgan oblast was formed in 1943 and Kurgan became its administrative center. In 1998, current flag and coat of arms were adopted by Kurgan administration.