Obninsk is a city in Russia, the first “naukograd” (“the city of science”) of the country, located in the north of the Kaluga region, about 80 km to the south-west of the Moscow Ring Road and 68 km to the north-east of Kaluga.
The population of Obninsk is about 109,300 (2015), the area - 43 sq. km.
The phone code - +7 48439, the postal codes - 249030, 249032, 249034, 249038.
In 1946, a secret laboratory called “Laboratory B” was created on the site of the village of the boarding school named after S. Shatskii “Cheerful Life” and the former Spanish orphanage. Later, it became the Institute of Physics and Power Engineering.
The laboratory carried out research in nuclear physics. For this purpose the German specialists were invited from the laboratories of Wilhelm the Kaiser and Leipzig University as well as the best Russian specialists. As a result the first in the world nuclear power station was constructed there. It began operating on June 27, 1954.
More Historical Facts…
In 1956, the settlement became a town. It was named Obninsk after the closest railway station Obninskoye. The name of the station in its turn is derived from the last name of the Obninskys who in the past owned the lands on which the railway was constructed.
Later, Obninsk developed as a scientific city specializing in nuclear physics and nuclear power engineering, meteorology, radiology, radiation chemistry, and geophysics. In 2000, Obninsk became the first Russian city which received the official status of Naukograd (Science City).
Church of the Nativity in Obninsk - the view from above
Obninsk is located in the continental region of the temperate zone, with cold and snowy winters and warm, humid summers. The average temperature in January is about minus 10 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 19 degrees Celsius.
The city stands at the intersection of the federal highways “Moscow-Kiev” (M3) and “Moscow-Roslavl-Brest” (A101), on the railway “Moscow-Bryansk-Kiev” (about 102 km from Kievsky railway station in Moscow). It is situated close to the main Moscow airports: Vnukovo (70 km), Sheremetyevo (130 km), Domodedovo (90 km). Also, there is a freight airport Yermolino located close to the city (15 km).
Obninsk is an internationally recognized research center. There are ten research institutes in the city. About one thousand of scientists work there. The high level of scientific research became the basis for long-term cooperation between local institutes and foreign research centers.
The pavilion near Belkin ponds in Obninsk
Roundabout and apartment buildings in Obninsk
Obninsk places of interest
The main attractions of Obninsk are:
- Obninsk nuclear power station - the first nuclear power station in the world. Today, it is used as an experimental and research base as well as an excursion place and a museum (Bondarenko Square, 1);
- Obninsk History Museum also serving as a local history museum and an art museum as well as the main exhibition area of the city (Lenina Avenue, 128);
- Bugry, an estate built in the 19th century, located in the park in the southeastern part of the city. In the 20th century, it was the dacha of the artist P.P.Konchalovsky;
- In the northwest of Obninsk you can find the remnants of Belkino, an estate founded in the 18th century with Boris and Gleb Church (1773). Near it there is a row of Belkinsky ponds and a restored Belkinsky park with a sweethearts pavilion and a decorative bridge;
- The most prominent landmark of Obninsk is the 310-meter meteorological mast. It is the highest meteorological tower in Europe;
- In the 1950s-1960s, German prisoners constructed the Old City by Leningrad architects’ design - the most beautiful part of the city and the only district where one can enjoy historical buildings;
- The old water tower in the Old City;
- Church of the Nativity on Aksyonov square. Although it was constructed recently it is the main city church and is remarkable for delicate interior and golden domes;
- The monument to the nuclear submarine fleet erected at the corner of Kurchatov and Pobeda streets in 2009.