Komsomolsk-on-Amur (Russian spelling Komsomolsk-na-Amure) is the second largest city of Khabarovsk krai and the fourth largest city in the Far East of Russia, standing on the left bank of the Amur River, 404 km north-east of Khabarovsk (by road). The distance to Moscow is about 8800 km.
Komsomolsk-on-Amur population is about 253,000 (2015), the land area - 325 sq. km.
The phone code is +7 4217; the postal codes - 681000-681035.
In 1930, the Soviet government issued a decree on economic and cultural formation of Dalnevostochny (Far Eastern) krai and, in August 1931, a decision to construct a shipbuilding plant there was made.
In January 1932, Permskoye settlement, located on the left bank of the Amur River, was visited by the government commission, which decided that the Amursky shipbuilding plant should be constructed there. At the same time, it was decided to construct an aircraft-building plant.
On May, 1932, the steamers “Komintern” and “Kolumb” brought about 1,000 first builders of the city to the Amur shore. At present, a memorial stone and a monument to the first builders of the city remind of this event.
More Historical Facts…
Komsomol volunteers came to the wild taiga area; they lived in barracks and army tents. Subjugating time and overcoming adversities, everyone lived waiting for the construction of giant plants. It was the objective for which they arrived to the severe and uninhabited Amur shore.
June 12, 1933, the construction of the Amursky shipbuilding plant began. This day is the birthday of Komsomolsk-on-Amur city. Later, on July 18, 1934, another giant plant - an aircraft-building one - was started to be constructed.
More than 40 thousand inhabitants of Komsomolsk-on-Amur took part in the battles of the Second World War. During the war, locals built and repaired 28 warships, produced 2757 warplanes, constructed 4 new plants, supplied the front with steel, oil, batteries, ammunition and other military products.
In a short time, Komsomolsk-on-Amur became a major industrial center of the Khabarovsk region and the Far East.
In the period from 1959 to 1993, Komsomolsk-on-Amur was closed to foreigners.
Komsomolsk-on-Amur street view
The House with a Spire - one of the symbols of Komsomolsk-on-Amur
Soviet mosaic in Komsomolsk-on-Amur
Komsomolsk-on-Amur is also known as “City of Youth.” It was named in memory of the members of Komsomol (the Soviet youth organization) - the first builders of the city (although a significant part of construction workers were prisoners). City Day is celebrated on June 12.
The climate is monsoonal, with some characteristics of the continental. Despite the fact that Komsomolsk-on-Amur is located south of Moscow (the latitude of Belgorod and Voronezh), it is equated to the Far North regions. The average temperature in January is minus 25.7 degrees Celsius, in July - plus 21.3 degrees C.
The city stretches over 30 km along the Amur River. Today, it is the largest industrial center in the Far East of Russia. The most developed industries are machine building and metal-working (aircraft- and ship-building, power engineering, various transportation equipment), ferrous metallurgy, oil-processing, light industry, forest, food processing.
Komsomolsk-on-Amur is located on the crossroads of several transportation ways:
- westwards - Baikal-Amur Railway,
- to the north-east - a waterway along the Amur River till the city of Nikolayevsk-on-Amur and further to Okhotskoye Sea, gas- and oil-pipelines from Sakhalin Island;
- eastwards - a railway till the seaport of Vanino and the city of Sovietskaya Gavan;
- to the southwest - the Amur River, a rail- and highway till the city of Khabarovsk and further to the coast of the Pacific Ocean, Vladivostok and Nakhodka seaports.
International ties in culture, education and sports are developed in the city. Every year, local and foreign universities exchange students and tutors, hold sport competitions and international festivals. Various ties connect Komsomolsk-on-Amur with Kamo (Japan) and Jiamusi (China).
Gagarin Square in Komsomolsk-na-Amure
Komsomolsk-na-Amure railway station
Komsomolsk-na-Amure river station
Komsomolsk-on-Amur is included in the list of historically inhabited places of Russia. It is a unique monument of city architecture with an extremely interesting history. Lenin Avenue, Mira Avenue and some other streets are lined with buildings in the style of Stalin’s neoclassicism. Komsomolsk-on-Amur is rich in monuments erected in honor of the famous people of the city and the country.
The unofficial symbol of Komsomolsk-on-Amur is a “house with a spire”, built in 1956 at the intersection of Lenin Avenue and October Avenue, near Lenin Square. On the facade of the house there is an inscription “Work in the Soviet Union - a matter of honor, valor and heroism.”
The plan of Komsomolsk-on-Amur looks like a ray system, it’s such a “city-sun”. Architectural ensembles of the city are examples of “palace” monumental architecture. At present, there are over 130 objects of cultural heritage. National cultural centers and ethnography museums are open in Komsomolsky, Amursky and Solnechny districts.
- Komsomolsk-on-Amur History Museum, opened in 1939, has an ethnographic, archaeological, natural history collections, art and posters collections, photographs and documents on the construction of the city in the 1930s (Mira Avenue, 8);
- Museum of Fine Arts, opened in 1966, exhibits various works of art of the Soviet period, works made by the artists living in the Far East of Russia, Korea, Japan, and China (Mira Avenue, 16);
- Exhibition Hall of the Union of Artists (Pervostroiteley Street, 21);
- Gallery of Modern Art “Metamorphosis” (Dzerzhinskiy Street, 24/2);
- Zoological Center “Python” (Ordzhonikidze Street, 9a).
The main theater of Komsomolsk-on-Amur is the drama theater (Pervostroiteley Street, 11), opened during the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the city, on June 7, 1982.
Travel agencies of Komsomolsk-on-Amur offer tourists a variety of tours around the city and surrounding areas. Tourist and recreation objects located in the city and neighboring districts offer various types of activities: mountain skiing, rafting, walking and equestrian tours, and fishing.
Tourist activities in Komsomolsk-on-Amur and neighboring districts last all year round. There are modern comfortable hotels, a developed net of restaurants with various national cuisines and a lot of tourist sites.
“Silinsky forest” is a large park located within the city limits. It is a virgin taiga forest on 500 hectares area.
Komsomolsk-on-Amur has several large hotels:
- “Voskhod” - the main hotel in the city. Address: Pervostroiteley Avenue, 31. Tel.: +7 4217 53 51 31;
- “City” - a hotel with views of the embankment of the Amur River, near the bus station. Kirov Street, 2. Tel.: +7 4217 33 33 38;
- “Center City”- a hotel located near the center of Komsomolsk-on-Amur. Kirov Street, 51. Tel.: +7 4217 33 33 37;
- “Mira 5” Hostel - a youth hostel opened in 2014. Mira Avenue, 5. Tel.: +7 4217 59 11 11.
Large enterprises of Komsomolsk-on-Amur also have their own hotels.