Russia travel blog | All about Russia in English

Aug/18

12

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery in the Yaroslavl Region

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, founded in 1363, is an Orthodox monastery located in the village of Borisoglebsky in the Yaroslavl region, on the road from Rostov to Uglich, 76 km south-west of Yaroslavl, part of the famous tourist route “The Golden Ring of Russia”.

The architectural complex of the monastery was fully formed in the 16th and 17th centuries, when it was one of the richest in the Rostov metropolia, while the Moscow princes and the first Russian tsars considered it as their “home” monastery. After the 17th century, the architectural ensemble remained almost unchanged. Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Mikhail Aritkin.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 1

In 1924, the monastery was officially abolished. During the Soviet period, the buildings were used to house various district institutions: post office, state bank, warehouses. November 8, 1928, a local history museum was opened in the premises of the former monastery.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 2

The Cathedral of Boris and Gleb (1522-1523).

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 3

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 4

The Annunciation Church with a refectory (1524-1526).

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 5

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 6

In 1994, the monastery was revived and for the next 20 years it shared the premises with the museum. In 2015, all the property was returned to the monastery. The buildings of the monastery are a significant monument of history and culture and are under the protection of the Russian state.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 7

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 8

The first stone walls were probably built in the 16th century. In the 1670s-1690s, the monastery became a powerful defensive structure with 14 towers (25 to 40 meters high). The total length of the walls was 1,040 meters, the height – 10-12 meters, the thickness – 3 meters.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 9

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 10

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 11

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 12

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 13

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 14

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 15

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 16

The Gate Church of the Meeting of the Lord (The North Gate).

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 17

The belfry with the Church of St. John the Baptist (1690).

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 18

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 19

The Gate Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (1679).

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 20

The monument to the monks of the monastery, who served as naval priests in 1900-1905.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 21

The old abbey chambers.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 22

The monastery treasury.

Rostov Boris and Gleb Monastery, Russia, photo 23

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Tags: 

<<

>>

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply