TAG | Yaroslavl city
Church of Elijah the Prophet, standing on Sovetskaya Square in the center of Yaroslavl, is an outstanding architectural monument of Yaroslavl school of architecture of the 17th century. This church almost completely preserved its original appearance.
The church was built in 1647-1650-ies at the expense of citizens of the town, the Yaroslavl merchants Vonifatiy Skripin and Ioannikiy Skripin who traded in furs, church utensils and precious stones. Photos by: Vladimir Dar.
Vvedenskiy Tolga Convent is located on the outskirts of Yaroslavl, on the left bank of the Volga River. You can easily get here by water-bus from the city center.
Founded as a monastery in 1314, it was named after the Tolga River flowing nearby. In 1987, after nearly sixty years of closure, it was reopened as a convent. Tolga Convent on Google Maps. Photos by: Vasiliy Nikitinskiy.
Church of Nikola Mokryi (St. Nicholas the Wet) in Yaroslavl, built in 1662-1675, is located at Chaikovsky Street, 1.
The church was named after St. Nicholas, in honor of whom the icon “Nikola Mokryi” was painted on the basis of an ancient story. Photos by: Kirill Moiseev.
Church of St. John the Baptist is one of the most famous monuments of the Yaroslavl architecture. It is a monument of history and culture of world importance included in the UNESCO cultural heritage list.
The church was built on the right bank of the Kotorosl River in 1671-1687. Its 45-meter bell tower was built later, in 1690. This is the only church in Russian architecture with fifteen domes, divided into three groups.
Tags: Yaroslavl city