TAG | churches
This small city with a population of about 110 thousand people has a surprisingly large number of old places of worship. Photos by: Kirill Moiseev.
Resurrection Monastery founded in the 13th century.
Church of the Intercession at Fili is an Orthodox church located in Filevsky Park district, in the western administrative district of Moscow (Novozavodskaya Street, 6).
This architectural monument of federal importance is a fine example of early Moscow baroque. The church was built by the boyar Lev Kirillovich Naryshkin, the uncle of Peter I, in 1690-1694. Photos by: Pavel Labutin.
Rostov, also known as Rostov Veliky (meaning Rostov the Great), is a town with a population of about 30 thousand people located in the Yaroslavl region, 53 km south-west of Yaroslavl, on the shores of Lake Nero.
This is one of the oldest towns in Russia for the first time mentioned in chronicles in 862. In 1207-1474, it was the center of the Rostov principality. Today, Rostov is a tourist center of the route “Golden Ring of Russia”. Photos by: ivanchuk1.
Church of the Resurrection in Rostov Kremlin.
Kiprovo (formerly Saunino) is a small village with a population of about 200 people located in the Kargopol district of the Arkhangelsk region, 5 km from the town of Kargopol.
The village is known for its beautiful wooden church of St. John Chrysostom (1665) with a bell tower. The pictures of this architectural ensemble show how diverse wooden architecture can be depending on the view angle. Church of St. John Chrysostom in Saunino on Google Maps. Photos by: Alexandr Lipilin.
Vvedenskiy Tolga Convent is located on the outskirts of Yaroslavl, on the left bank of the Volga River. You can easily get here by water-bus from the city center.
Founded as a monastery in 1314, it was named after the Tolga River flowing nearby. In 1987, after nearly sixty years of closure, it was reopened as a convent. Tolga Convent on Google Maps. Photos by: Vasiliy Nikitinskiy.
This beautiful wooden church, Church of the Transfiguration, was built in 1786. It is located in a small village of Posad (the central part of the village of Turchasovo) in the Onega district of the Arkhangelsk region.
Krasnoye (meaning “red”) is a village with a population of about 400 people located in Staritsa district of the Tver region, 20 kilometers north-west of the town of Staritsa.
In the second half of the 18th century, M.F. Poltoratsky, the owner of the manor in Krasnoye, decided to replace the old wooden church and built a new one.
Church of Nikola Mokryi (St. Nicholas the Wet) in Yaroslavl, built in 1662-1675, is located at Chaikovsky Street, 1.
The church was named after St. Nicholas, in honor of whom the icon “Nikola Mokryi” was painted on the basis of an ancient story. Photos by: Kirill Moiseev.
Staritsky Holy Assumption Monastery is an Orthodox monastery located in the town of Staritsa, on the right bank of the Volga River, in the Tver region.
The ensemble of the monastery is one of the most important and interesting architectural complexes in the region. This is one of the oldest monasteries in Russia, officially founded in the first half of the 16th century, although the first monks came here from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in 1110.
One of the main attractions of Ekaterinburg is an abandoned unfinished television tower, the tallest building in the city (219 meters). Construction began in 1983, but, in 1991, because of the crisis in the country, it was stopped.
Since that time a number of projects for the reconstruction of the tower appeared, but none of them was approved. Recently, one more interesting project has been proposed.