CAT | Religion
Vvedenskiy Tolga Convent is located on the outskirts of Yaroslavl, on the left bank of the Volga River. You can easily get here by water-bus from the city center.
Founded as a monastery in 1314, it was named after the Tolga River flowing nearby. In 1987, after nearly sixty years of closure, it was reopened as a convent. Tolga Convent on Google Maps. Photos by: Vasiliy Nikitinskiy.
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, situated on the shore of Lake Siverskoye in the town of Kirillov of the Vologda region, is the largest monastery in Europe.
In the 15th-17th centuries, it was one of the largest and richest monasteries in Russia, the spiritual center of the Russian North. In 1924, the monastery was turned into a historical, architectural and art museum-reserve. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Vologda oblast
Pimen, the Archbishop of Novgorod, founded the monastery by the order of Ivan the Terrible in 1560. The main relic of the monastery is the miracle-working Tikhvin Icon of the Holy Mother. Tikhvin Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Dmitriy Gazin.
Tags: Leningrad oblast
Staritsky Holy Assumption Monastery is an Orthodox monastery located in the town of Staritsa, on the right bank of the Volga River, in the Tver region.
The ensemble of the monastery is one of the most important and interesting architectural complexes in the region. This is one of the oldest monasteries in Russia, officially founded in the first half of the 16th century, although the first monks came here from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra in 1110.
This Orthodox church, named after the icon of the Mother of God “The Sign”, was built of white stone in 1690-1703. It is famous for its unique architecture, unusual for Russian architecture. Photos by: Alexander Maretsky.
Church of the Beheading of John the Baptist in Dyakovo is one of the two survived multi-pillar churches of the 16th century, an outstanding monument of Russian architecture.
The church is situated in the territory of Kolomenskoye Museum-Reserve in the Southern Administrative District of Moscow. In the 16th century, the royal residence was located in this area.
Solovetsky Islands or simply Solovki is an archipelago located in the White Sea (Arkhangelsk oblast), consisting of six major islands and more than 100 small islands.
The archipelago and the five-kilometer water area of the White Sea are included in the protected area “Solovetsky State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve.” Photos by: Petr Ushanov.
Tags: Arkhangelsk oblast
Voskresensky New Jerusalem Monastery is a historic monastery located in the town of Istra in the Moscow region.
The monastery was founded by Patriarch Nikon in 1656. The plan was to recreate the holy places of Palestine, it was the embodiment of the idea of Moscow as the “Third Rome” located in Russia.
Nilov Monastery is an Orthodox monastery located on Stolobny Island and partly on Svetlitsa Peninsula, 10 km north of the town of Ostashkov, on Lake Seliger in the Tver region.
The monastery was named after Reverend Nilus Stolobensky born at the end of the 15th century. The magnificent monastery complex that you can see today was erected in the 18th-19th centuries. At that time it was one of the largest monasteries in the Russian Empire and the most visited Russian shrine. Nilov Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Denis Spirin.
Tags: Tver oblast
Church of the Annunciation was built in the center of the village at the end of the 17th century. This church is an interesting example of Russian wooden architecture, an important monument of culture and history. It is the oldest monument of wooden architecture of the 17th century in the region. Photos by: Alexander Maretsky.