CAT | Architecture
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, situated on the shore of Lake Siverskoye in the town of Kirillov of the Vologda region, is the largest monastery in Europe.
In the 15th-17th centuries, it was one of the largest and richest monasteries in Russia, the spiritual center of the Russian North. In 1924, the monastery was turned into a historical, architectural and art museum-reserve. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Vologda oblast
In the Chukhlomsky district of the Kostroma region, hidden between forests and abandoned villages, there is a beautiful wooden palace designed by the famous architect Ivan Ropet (1845-1908).
The house was built by Martyan Sazonov for Yelizaveta Dobrovolskaya, his second wife, in the late 19th century. He was of peasant origin but that did not stop him to go to St. Petersburg and become a major construction businessman. Photos by: Vadim Razumov.
Tags: Kostroma oblast
The city, founded as a fortress by the Swedes in 1293, is the only historical settlement in the region.
Tags: Leningrad oblast
One of the main attractions of Ekaterinburg is an abandoned unfinished television tower, the tallest building in the city (219 meters). Construction began in 1983, but, in 1991, because of the crisis in the country, it was stopped.
Since that time a number of projects for the reconstruction of the tower appeared, but none of them was approved. Recently, one more interesting project has been proposed.
Church of St. John the Baptist is one of the most famous monuments of the Yaroslavl architecture. It is a monument of history and culture of world importance included in the UNESCO cultural heritage list.
The church was built on the right bank of the Kotorosl River in 1671-1687. Its 45-meter bell tower was built later, in 1690. This is the only church in Russian architecture with fifteen domes, divided into three groups.
In 1348-1510, this town was the capital of the independent Pskov Republic. In 1510, it was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Prior to the beginning of the 18th century, Pskov was one of the largest cities of Russia and Europe, the most important defensive and commercial center of the country. Photos by: Andrei Kireev.
The Pskova River and the walls of the Pskov Kremlin.
Tags: Pskov city
This Orthodox church, named after the icon of the Mother of God “The Sign”, was built of white stone in 1690-1703. It is famous for its unique architecture, unusual for Russian architecture. Photos by: Alexander Maretsky.
It was founded as a center for the development of Siberia in 1587. Until the 18th century, Tobolsk remained a major military, administrative, political, and religious center.
Tags: Tobolsk city
This unusual red church is located in the village of Krasnoye, in Staritsa district of the Tver region. Church of the Transfiguration was built in 1790.
This is one of the rarest pseudo-Gothic buildings of the 18th century in the region. The church looks especially unusual in contrast with the farmhouses and barns. Krasnoye village on Google Maps. Photos by: Alexander Maretsky.
Church of the Beheading of John the Baptist in Dyakovo is one of the two survived multi-pillar churches of the 16th century, an outstanding monument of Russian architecture.
The church is situated in the territory of Kolomenskoye Museum-Reserve in the Southern Administrative District of Moscow. In the 16th century, the royal residence was located in this area.