Russia Travel Blog | All about Russia in English

Archive for March 2019

Mar/19

21

St. Andronicus Monastery in Moscow

St. Andronicus Monastery is a complex of buildings of the former monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church located on the left bank of the Yauza River, near one of the Poklonny Mountains of Moscow.

The monastery, founded in 1357, was named after its first hegumen, Andronicus, a disciple of Sergius of Radonezh. St. Andronicus Monastery on Google Maps. Photos by: Vladimir Dar.

St. Andronicus Monastery in Moscow, Russia, photo 1

beautiful churches and a unique museum

Tags:  · ·

Mar/19

16

Barnaul – the view from above

Barnaul is a city with a population of about 632 thousand people located in the south of Western Siberia at the confluence of the Barnaulka and the Ob rivers, the administrative center of the Altai Krai.

It was founded as a settlement at the Akinfiy Demidov silver smelting plant in 1730. The blast furnace on the city’s coat of arms reminds of those times. Today, it is a large industrial, cultural, medical, and educational center of Siberia. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Barnaul, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Barnaul

Tags:  ·

Mar/19

10

Evening in snow-covered Yaroslavl

Yaroslavl is a city with a population of about 609 thousand people, the administrative center of the Yaroslavl region. Founded in the 11th century, Yaroslavl is one of the oldest Russian cities, which reached its peak in the 17th century. In 2010, tise city celebrated its millennium.

The historic center of Yaroslavl, located at the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl rivers, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Yaroslavl claims the status of the “capital” of the Golden Ring of Russia. Photos by: Roman Smirnov.

Evening in snow-covered Yaroslavl, Russia, photo 1

fly over Yaroslavl

Tags: 

Mar/19

5

Salekhard – the view from above

Salekhard is a city with a population of about 49 thousand people, the administrative center of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District. It is the only city in the world located directly on the Arctic Circle.

It was founded as a Cossack fort of Obdorsk in 1595. At the beginning of the 19th century, the fortifications were demolished, and Obdorsk turned into a village. In 1933, it received a new name – Salekhard, which in translation from the Nenets language means “settlement on a cape”. Photos by: Slava Stepanov.

Salekhard, Russia - the view from above, photo 1

fly over Salekhard

Tags:  ·